A Personal Support Worker (PSW) is required to provide the assistance with daily personal care to the aging population who deals with the effects of aging, injury or illness. A PSW has to work under the direction of a registered nurse to assist patients with personal hygiene, meal preparation, household management and deal with various ongoing conditions, at various levels of health and well-being. PSWs work very closely with the patients, hence they develop close relationships. Therefore, their knowledge and the abilities must go beyond the dexterity skills and emphasize the value of their role. They need to reflect true sympathy and respect for each client.
The program is completed in 31 weeks with an extensive program covering all aspects of personal support.
The program has a comprehensive curriculum which covers the following:
- Train the students to provide the compassionate care when assisting patients, clients and residents with broad-spectrum conditions.
- Cover topics such as abuse and safety, cognitive impairment, mental health issues and personal hygiene, along with the importance of interpersonal skills and respect the individuality of the clients.
- Train the students for areas in childcare like learning how to promote a comfortable and safe environment for mothers and newborns.
- Provide students with hands-on practice to feel comfortable and confident when approaching their clinical practice and seeking employment after graduation.
- Develop a broad range of abilities in the students which emphasize the value of their role and reflect true sensitivity.
Amongst the best colleges of Toronto Canada, Toronto International Business College aims to nourish individuals with all the skills required to ensure the safety and well-being of the client. This program is specifically tailored for the students who are caring in nature and wish to help the society.
In addition to the skills mentioned in the program information, at TIBC, you learn the following aspects of personal support to make you job-ready:
- Interpersonal skills
- Assisting the family
- Assisting with medications
- Assisting a dying person
We organize various fieldwork activities for the students so that they can get experience to enhance their professional skills. Through practical training imparted by our college, you will get the job you have dreamed of!
Once the students complete the program, they have the propensity to:
- Participate as a member of the interprofessional care/service team and sustain collaborative working relationships.
- Assist under the direction and guidance of a regulated health professional in accordance with all applicable legislation and employer’s policies.
- Use recognized approaches and best practices to support positive strategies and safe responses.
A student who has completed the Personal Support Worker program can be hired in any of the following sectors:
- Adult day program
- Acute care hospitals
- Group home
- Home-care agency
- Hospices/palliative care service
- Long-term care facility
- Seniors’ residence
Fill out the form to get more information regarding the admission criteria, financial aid assistance, and the program dates. Toronto International Business College takes you where you aspire to be.Fill out the quick form to get all the answers you need by email!
- Career info
- Job placement
- Financial aid
- How much will it cost?
- Class schedule
- Class start dates